The early twin reflector headlights were an effort to be able to use the single filament H1 halogen bulb in automobile headlights. There were four made: Bosch H1, Cibie Bi-Iode, SEV Marchal Amplilux and Carello. It was common for high beams to have yellow shrouds on the high beam bulbs. The first two are widely known and second two less so. However they are as rare and desirable as the first two.
Amplilux headlights use an H1 bulb for low beams and an H3 bulb for high beams. They were usually outfitted with clear fluted lenses but were infrequently fitted with yellow lenses. Like the other twin reflector headlights they were designed to fit into the Hella SB19 sealed beam housings that Porsche used on early U.S. delivered 911's.
The most interesting thing about the performance of Ampliluxes is that they provide a very unique low beam ccut-off and a super intense, far reaching, pencil like high beam that is not easily duplicated in a single bulb light assembly.
Special Note: These are much more rare than Bosch H1's, probably equivalent to the Cibies. Please note that there were two versions made and only one version was used on Porsches. The other version was used on Citroens and Peugeots. The ones pictured here have the correct high beam reflectors for Porsches. The incorrect ones have a far different shaped reflector and have a much lower value (see picture).
- Reflectors – stripped, copper plated, nickel plated, polished, followed by vapor deposited aluminum plating and a protective silica layer – Why aluminum?
- Housings – media blasted and VHT painted
- Outer Lenses – new with correct Hella lettering
- Lens Gaskets – new
- Chrome Trim Rings – new or rechromed originals depending on availability
- Adjustment Screws – new with nyloc nuts for easy removal
- Fender Mounting Screws
- Fender Mounting Gaskets – new
- Bulbs – new high performance H1 bulbs
- Bench Tested
Delivery on SEV Marchal Amplilux Headlight Restorations is 6-8 weeks.
More on the rare SEV Marchal SEV headlights: history, information and to adjust them from Daniel Stern- CLICK HERE